Recipes

10.17.2011

Reading the code on your produce

One of the most frequent conversations I have with people is a mutual frustration that the FDA does not require special testing, regulations or labeling of genetically modified foods. The consumer has a right to know what is in their food and where it came from. So when I stubbled upon this bit of information I thought it is definitely something I need to share. 


When you are shopping for produce, you will notice a code written on each fruit/vegetable.This is the code that your grocer will type in or scan at the cash register.

For conventionally grown produce, this is a four digit code.  For organic produce, it is a five digit code that always starts with a 9, like the picture above.  Genetically modified produce also have a five digit code but it starts with an 8. I think its great to have this information for the next time I buy my produce and its fair to say that I will be staying away from the 8s.

No comments:

Post a Comment